Happy Holidays!

Image from: IMDB

How is everyone's holiday season going?  I am in Salt Lake City having Chirstmas with my sister and having the unique Antropological experience of observing Mormons in their natural habitat (fun fact: even in Utah, you can buy beer at the grocery store, take that Pennsylvania!, but the tea selection is crap).
Christmas is pretty much my favorite holiday: I love presents, getting as much as giving, peppermint-chocolate flavored things*, light displays, and gaudily combining red and green in my outfits (currently I have black nail polish covered with green glitter on one hand and red glitter on the other). 
I've been thinking lately about how all the winter holidays (Christmas, Hanukkah, Eid, and most overtly Yule) are about the ultimate triumph of light over darkness.  While that may not inherantly seem like a very Goth-y sort of message; I would disagree.  To me, the ultimate point of gothic subculture is to acknowledge that life isn't always sunshiney and bright, but to embrace the darkness in our lives and see the beauty therein.  I think ultimately, that fits in with the winter holidays and the idea that while we may be in the darkest time of the year, that isn't permenent and within the darkness is beauty and a promise of light to come. 

So tonight, I"ll be going to see the lights in Temple Square (which promise to be appropriately stunning) and tommorow I'll be woken up too early by a horde of enthusiastic children to open presents in my silly bat pyjamas.

I hope you all will of have had an excellent holiday and (in case I don't get back here before then) a wonderful new year!


* Here is my super-secret recipie for gluten-free chocolate mint M&M cookies

3 comments:

Sal said...

Photos, please??? I've been to Utah but never to Salt Lake City.

Sounds as if you're going to have lots of fun!
Happy Holidays to you!

Tante Fledermaus said...

China Glaze "Party Hearty" is the best holiday glitter polish ever created. Large red hex glitter, medium green round glitter, and teeny tiny gold round glitter. It's festive as hell.

Varina said...

Sal - Ah, thanks! Pictures forthcoming.

Tante Fledermaus - that does indeed sound festive as hell!

Post a Comment